Saturday, August 4, 2012

DAY 4: The Joy of Place Names

Covered about 80kms yesterday, which is the minimum pace I'll have to keep if I want to get to Zgorzelec (i.e. the German border) in a reasonable time. About 45 of those were by train, and then, after waiting out a fairly ferocious downpour that started the moment I left the railway station, I did the other 35 by bike.

I ended up in the small town of Ladna, and I simply had to stay there, for reasons related to the Russian language. Let me explain:

A World of Bad Joke Potential
Ładna, Poland, 03.08.12
See, in Russian, the word ladna (spelled with an "o" on the end, but pronounced with an [a] sound) literally translates as "ok". However, the meaning changes depending on your tone. 

It can be used in a friendly or neutral way, but with the right intonation it signals something else – something more like the English "Yeah, whatever", used to indicate either that someone you're talking to is being unreasonable, or that you're totally unimpressed with something, or that you just really don't care.  

Altogether, then, ladna can mean anything from "Yep, no problem" to "I'm completely over this, can we move on please?" to "You're talking crap, but I can't be bothered arguing 'cause there's clearly no way to penetrate your stupidity". Such a versatile little word )))

So as I rode past the amusing signs saying things like "Glass Factory: Ladna", "Supermarket: Ladna" and so on, I of course had many juvenile chuckles to myself, imagining a signwriter who was just horribly, terminally bored with his job. 

Never turn your nose up at free entertainment, I say :-)

Incidentally, two days ago there was a town called "Lazy" about 10kms off my route. I considered going there just to get my photo taken next to the town sign, but in the end I couldn't be bothered.

(Next time you see me, you can slap me for that joke if you like.)

The scenery today was more dramatic than yesterday. My cycling route skirted around the edge of a low mountain range (actually I'm not sure if you'd call them low mountains or tall hills, but ladna, doesn't matter), so there were some valleys of splendour and the like.

I particularly appreciated the wildflowers on this part of the journey. At this time of year, Poland essentially becomes a sea of wildflowers. On every square metre of land not otherwise occupied, they spring up in their millions, adding bold, broad strokes of yellow and occasional splashes of purple or white to the landscape. If there's so much as a vacant lot between two houses, the wildflowers will claim it and thrive on it. They look especially vivid late in the day or after rain, which were exactly the conditions in which I saw them yesterday ... hence the appreciation, I guess.

Look at The Pretty Flarsl
Route E40 (Ładna-Tarnow), Poland, 04.08.12

You know, while I was cycling today, I had a moment when I suddenly thought "This should be my life". I mean, it is my life, in the sense that I'm doing it now and I appear to be breathing (sometimes very heavily!). And there are obviously good reasons why it can't be a full-time thing – family, the need to make a living etc. etc.

The thing is, though, other than the factors I just mentioned, most of the stuff that generally keeps us stationary seems kinda empty to me when I get 'on the road'. I don't need a nice house or even a 'place to call home'; don't want a car; couldn't care less about flat-screen TVs or a backyard lawn or the familiar faces of neighbours or any of that palaver. The world is ridiculously large (as you realise only too well when you try to traverse a little bit of it by bicycle!), and so varied and interesting, and life is way too finite for my liking! 

So I ask myself: what the Hell are we all doing, missing out on so much by staying in one place? Why don't we all just gather together our loved ones, get rid of all our unnecessary stuff, work out a way to earn money while mobile, and disappear into the blue?

I know that's a horribly flawed and idealistic argument, and the lifestyle it recommends is virtually impossible to sustain (especially on an English teacher's salary!). Still, those were my thoughts last night and I'm recording them faithfully here, cos y'know, I sometimes do that.

Meanwhile, to the guy who makes those insanely delicious fruit-and-spice-infused vodkas in Kazimierz (the 'Bohemian Quarter' of Krakow): I'll see you tomorrow night, my friend!

Take care everyone :-)
Anthony.

No comments:

Post a Comment